blog design

Friday, March 28, 2008

New Career ??? Maybe ???

I am thinking about starting a new career. I am totally afraid though. Afraid I might not find a job, afraid that I won't like it after all the schooling, afraid of failure I guess is the truth. I want to go back to school to get a degree in graphic design. Actually, I wanted to get a certificate in it, but found through research that I need at least 48-60 class hours, which means a bachelors minus the gen ed requirements b/c I already have two degrees or I can do an Associate degree program. That's a lot of school. That means at least 3-4 years part time or 2 years full time, which means quitting my job. And what if it doesn't pan out for me. I know lots of people in marketing and advertising having a hard time finding a job. Rob's positive response was that, "at least you will have amazing scrapbooking pages b/c you will be a professional designer." Thanks Honey :-)

I also have to figure out where having kids will fit in. I planned to quit and stay home in another year or two, so maybe I can use that time to take classes, or maybe I will be so busy being a full time mom and homemaker that I won't have the time. Plus is it wise to start a new career at 30 and try to start a family? Who knows? Really, does anyone know, I would LOVE to talk with them :-) I have been reading this blog: 48 Days Blog by this man who wrote No More Mondays and he encourages you to break out and find the job you want to go to everyday. He says life is too short to live conviently, you have to live it passionately (my phrasing his ideology). So who knows, this may be the start of something new. Everything starts small and can snowball at any moment. I just have to be brave enough to put forth the time to change my life situation.

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Dont be afraid! Go for it girl!! Best wishes on your new journey!

Unknown said...

good luck to you in whatever you do! i need to check that blog out. thanks for the link!

s.

Trina said...

Hey! How ironic. I just left my job as a full time graphic designer to be a stay at home mommy! I will tell you that I sooooo loved my job. It wasn't ever hard finding a new design job in the past. I am still doing freelance at home from time to time as well as photography. Do it girl!!! You will love it. Let me know if I can help more!

T