blog design

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Time for Yourself

We had a discussion at work today about finding time for yourself. I told my friend that it was utterly necessary. There aren't enough hours in the day to do what we are required to do at our job and still maintain our personal sanity and some type of home life. I came home today and refused to do any work for my job (not out of the normal :-) I went up stairs to my scrap room, turned on some music (I am really liking the new Ludicris CD) and completed two LO's (my husband was at class). I enjoyed myself. The downside of my job is that you feel guilty for taking time to seperate yourself from the job. Education is a weird entity because it is about giving yourself every minute of every hour that you are there. Kids are so needy and 150 of them can be draining. You feel bad when you aren't giving yourself because you need to refuel. Whenever I take a day off, I spend half the day feeling bad and wondering what the kids are doing while my husband doesn't even think about it for a second.

Tip of the Year: Do you when you need to, so you will be willing to be there for others when they need you. Took me four years on the job to learn this and I am still trying to put it in to practice.

5 comments:

Karen said...

So true Keianna! I feel that way being a SAHM too. If I'm not giving my dd my attention every minute of the day I feel guilty, but sometimes I need to give her a snack, turn on Dora and try and to do something for me for a little while, even if just for a half hour. And when I do go out alone and she's upset when I leave I spend the first half of my time thinking and worrying about her. I need to let all that go too!

Anonymous said...

so true, I wish I had more time though,, that would be nice

Anonymous said...

That is so true, its even more important when you have children, you will loose sight of who you are. Great post.

Veroncia Butler said...

That's so true, especially those in education. I think about my adults students all the time. Wait until you have kids. The guilt will be 10-fold. But it is still important to make time for just you. Keep that in focus.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I probably need to hang this on the wall in my office. I can never seem to manage to do that.