blog design

Saturday, August 26, 2006

I Finally Did It...

I finally bought the digi rebel :-) After stalking this camera and reading all I could about it, I finally took the plunge and spent over a thousand dollars on a camera (and some accessories). I still can't believe it. I will spend the next 10 months paying it off with my coaching money, but I am not upset with my purchase. I was nervous b/c I bought it in a store kit that used Tamron lenses instead of Canon lenses. However, I have five days to make any returns. I decided to take it out for a spin at the zoo today and test both the lenses (55-200 and 28-80) that came in the kit, to see if they matched my needs. I am satisfied :-) When my photographer's eye grows keener, I will plan to purchase better lenses. My husband is a trooper b/c he went out in the humidity and walked around for about 4 hours and even read the directions to me as I tried various tools on the camera. Love him so much and love the fact that he supports my passions. Here are some of my photos, which are straight from the camera and have not been touched up in Adobe. There is definately a learning curve, but I love a challenge and I love to learn, so this should be a good match. I think I will try to find somewhere to go each Saturday, so I can hone my skills and try new techniques. Can't wait to take it to practice next week and see what kind of pictures I can get of my girls. Rob said I need a new hustle to afford this camera gig, maybe I can take sports photos of the kids as a side job. He suggested that or taking photos of the city and selling them at open markets :-) Gotta love his sense of humor.

The alligator photo was taken at quite a distance (obviously), but I zoomed in close and even took the photos through bars, which I was able to blur out by getting close to them. I am proud of the waterfall because I played around with the shutter speed, so I could blur the water. Rob and i probably played around with that for almost 20 minutes :-) The zebra I got in mid-shot using the sports mode on the camera.

6 comments:

Jocelyn said...

yay! I am excited for you to get to play with your new purchase! You already took some GREAT pictures! I love the one of the Alligator! I can't wait to make that purchase. It will probably be awhile though!

Karen said...

Great picutres...I'm so excited for you. That's my dream camera too but it will be a LONG time before it becomes a reality. Enjoy it!!!!

Anonymous said...

i am so happy for you, congrats

Anonymous said...

You will LOVE it girl!!! Enjoy!

Carrie Postma said...

Congrats on your new camera! I just got this camera a couple months ago too!!! Great pictures already...who-hoo!

Francine said...

have I told you yet that I'm jealous? lol Those are great shots!