blog design

Thursday, August 10, 2006

A Calling vs. A Job

This is my first week back at work. Yesterday I spent 11 hours at work. I was there my regular schedule and then I had to come back for freshmen evening orientation. Needless to say I am one very tired woman at this point. I finally decorated and cleaned my room today. I will go back tomorrow and actually plan my lessons.

At the orientation, a young lady helped me to understand my job a bit better. The reality is that teaching is not a job it is a calling. You can tell those teachers who aren't very effective with the students because they see it as simply a job, a paycheck. The young lady was a student from last year and she is now on leadership, so she was helping to direct freshmen and their parents. She came and stood by my door toward the end and we just talked for a long while. It was 8 p.m. and I asked her how she was getting home. She said walking, so of course I asked how far. She was planning on walking about 15-20 minutes at night by herself. I told her no way and offered to drive her home, even though I was hungry, tired and wanted to go to bed. Someone who considers teaching simply a job would a) not have been having a free conversation with her b) not have inquired about how she was getting home and c) wouldn't have given her a ride.

Teaching is a calling, a calling to help our youth grow into great adults, a calling to teach them the tools they need for success, and a calling to develop bonds beyond the surface.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN...Teaching is definitely a calling and my hat is off to you and so many others. WHen the days get rough and they will...keep coming back to this post to remind yourself of why you do what you do.

Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

I totally agree. My Mom was a teacher for 34 years and she truly believes that teaching is a calling. She tells me that it was all she ever wanted to do with her life and she never stopped loving it.


Rolana

Veroncia Butler said...

Amen to that. I'm not an educator, but I work for a comm. college and deal with adult students on a daily basis. I even gave myself the title of "life advisor" because my students are seeking so much more that degree, and looking for someone to listen. God bless you as you walk in your calling.