blog design

Monday, July 24, 2006

Nomadic Lifestyle

Some of you may be wondering where I have been. I have not posted since Thursday. Well we had a big storm that knocked out power on Wednesday night (see story below). However, our house was fine. Friday morning we had another big storm, we were not okay this time. Our power was gone at about 10:30 a.m. We decided not to go to the graduation b/c of the poor weather, and other things. I was was somewhat comfortable with no lights while I waited for Rob to make it home. We tried to find something to eat and ended up waiting almost 45 minutes in a White Castle line (shows that there was nothing open for miles around), came home, lit candles, and played Gin on the floor by candlelight, went to bed with little on, opened all the windows, and put the comforter on the floor (wouldn't be needing that with the heat). We wake up Saturday, and no pwer, so we start our weekend of nomadic living. We drove to a mall about 30-45 mintues away. We walked around, ate at the Cheesecake factory (awesome place), drove to another mall 30-45 minutes away, went scrapbook browsing, went to the movies (Super Ex Girlfriend is absolutely hilarious, fun fun movie), ate dinner. We managed to stay out our warm powerless home all day. Wake up Sunday, still no power, so we left home again, ate breakfast at the Waffle House (very good), went to another mall, walked around, went to a bookstore and browsed for a while, looked at new cameras (trying to decide between taking the Digi Rebel XT leap or getting the Sony H5), drove to a college to use their internet, drove to the trendy part of town and people watched as we ate at a famous restaurant outside (Blueberry Hill). Called the house, which we had done nearly a hundred times (in hopes the answering machine would pick up indicating we had power), and high fived at the table when we heard my voice. Oh joy. We were so tired when we got home. Doing nothing can be as tiresome as doing something. Luckily, most of the food in the freezer was still good. We chucked everything that was in the fridge. Thank God we made it through safely and had the means to make it through with no hardships. Hopefully the rest of this weekend will be uneventful and I can finish all the work for my grad classes, which end in 2 weeks.

Oh yeah, I am a bad scrapper b/c I don't have pictures of us living nomadicly b/c the batteries in my camera died, and I couldn't charge them up :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad some of the stuff you had could be salvaged!!

Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

I'm glad you and hubby have power again and some of your food could be salvaged.

Rolana

Anonymous said...

Wow what a weekend! Glad you are up and running again! I love my digital rebel and i also have a sony that is great too!
Erica

Karen said...

That stinks your power was off so long, but glad you didn't lose everything in your freezer. So funny how your camera battery was dead and you couldn't charge it. We are so spoiled with modern electronics and then lost without them, huh? LOL

Anonymous said...

they power failure happened in PA to,, luckily, my area was not affected, and I'm also happy you didn't lose anything because of it, the weather has been very unpredictable in my neck of the woods.

Trina said...

WOW! What a weekend! At least you and the hubby got to spend some one on one time together. Glad your power is back on too.

Anonymous said...

Glad the power is back on and you can charge your camera battery! ;)
Go for the rebel!!! I have the rebel and Lahove it!!!! I also have a sony and it's great but doesn't compare to the rebel!!