blog design

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Music in Your Soul

***Taken from the Blog of Ali Edwards, check her out. Her entry today really moved me...again. Ali also writes the Happiness Blog, which is linked on the right of my page. She is inspiring. http://www.aliedwards.typepad.com/

Made it & music.
On the way from Phoenix to Cleveland I watched a movie that brought up all kinds of thoughts and emotions. I wanted to share with you what I wrote after seeing the movie:
I am intensely inspired by people who make a difference in the lives of others. Those who bring out good and life and passion in those they come in contact with. On the flight to Cleveland I watched a movie called
Take The Lead which is based on a true story of a ballroom dance instructor (Pierre Dulaine) who brought something magical, passionate and oh so very good to kids in NYC. (He is also featured in the documentary Mad Hot Ballroom that I hope to see soon.)
The music. The bodies of the dancers. How the music flows through their body. How it takes them away from the everyday into another realm entirely - the realm of flow and beat and cha cha cha. Movies like that make something well up inside me. I was totally entranced and inspired.
And I thought of Simon and how he was dancing to the live band on the 4th of July. The music was flowing through him big time. He is just a little boy and man, he feels the music. He is connected to something greater than what we see on the surface.
Then I thought of that video of Matt doing his dance all over the world. I wonder if Matt had music while he danced? Did he just dance to the beat inside himself?
In looking back at my life so far, college for me was such a time of music. There was always music pumping somewhere on my street. Parties were all about music. And I loved dancing. I remember what it feels like to move my body to the music - it has been way too long since that time. I have developed more inhibitions, gotten more self-conscious. I am missing that freedom of movement, that flow that comes through the body when you dance without worry of looking silly, or fretting about your body...
I want loud music in my life again. That pure sense of being alive that only comes from the rhythm and flow of melody. I want to dance. I want to love my body and feel the beat and move.
Peace and tons of music to you all out there.


What music moves you to feel alive???

No comments: