blog design

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

A Life Lived in Fear, Is a Life Half Lived: I Decided that I want to be whole

Okay, so I think I am having one of those early life crisises. This is a new phenomenon that happens in your late twenties and early thirties. It is where you feel like you should be doing more with your life and you want to take some chances and live a few dreams.

If you have been reading my previous posts, than you know that I have become more and more unsatisfied with my job. I have been thinking about trying a new career, but afraid of the unknown aspect and lack of security. I have taken risks in my life, but they have been calculated risks according to my husband. Well based on our conversation on Sunday night, I realized that I didn't want to be impaired by fear. I don't want to look back and wonder what if I had been bolder. So I have decided to take a risk, I have decided to follow a recent dream, I have decided to do something that I think will bring me satisfaction...

I have decided to look into starting my own business in the scrapbook field. Typing it makes it seem more real somehow. Right now I am just doing the research on the different angles I could take. For those not familiar with the scrap world, you can: scrap for others, do an online store, do a brick and mortar store, manufacture scrap items, start a kit club, do direct sales, teach classes and hold scrap parties, do photography, or write books. I am not finding alot of information on the angle that interests me most, but I am not letting that discourage me. I am looking into licensing a name, tax considerations, cost factors, advertising opportunities, website creation, how I could put my mark on something, and reading about people's personal stories in the scrapbook field. I am reseraching and working towards a dream, and something feels real good about that. I know it won't happen over night, I know it may not be easy, but I am excited about the potential for success. If others have done it before me, than why couldn't I as well. So anyway, PRAY that I take it from the PLANNING stage, to the ACTION stage and then to the IMPLEMENTATION stage. I don't want to get stuck at stage one.

Also, if anyone has any tips or stories to share, please do so. Experience is good, but learning from others is also very helpful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no tips here, but I hope you find what is best for you,, soon

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your endavors!

Anonymous said...

Let me know if you want to bounce ideas off of me. I have done the direct selling thing, the scrapper for hire thing, designed product, but now I've settled on a combination of teaching nationwide, hosting local crops to spread the tradition in scrapbooking in the minority communities, select photography assignments (you'd really be good at that, business consulting with small scrapbook store owners and finishing up my idea book (self-publishing).

Feel free to pick my brain if you like...I've got a list of people I can refer you to also.